Monday, August 22, 2011

Mom of the year...

So, after a stressful day at work and I was looking forward to relaxing and enjoying the company of my girls. I even stopped at Toys R Us and got them each a little surprise! We get home, Kylie starts playing with her Crayola dry erase board and we're having a good time. The other day we got some peaches from an actual orchard (best peaches ever!) so I cut one open for their dessert. This is where it went downhill. Kylie didn't want a bite of peach, and when she decides she doesn't want to try something, there is no convincing her. I kept asking her nicely, just to try this one little bite (I even cut the peel off and the red inside, it was just the sweet juicy peach), she refused. I started pleading with her to just try it. You moms are familiar - this is the point when you decide whether you should just give up and act like you never asked, or firmly stand your ground and teach her to do what you ask her to do. you know, teach her a lesson! On this evening, I chose the latter. So I told her she was going to go to bed if she didn't try a bite. She started crying, so I told her to take a bite, for the love of God, and this will all be over. She proceeded to fall on the floor and start crying and kicking, that of course made Claire start crying as well. This banter went on for about 5 minutes, with everyone crying, and she was covering her mouth like Fort Knox. So I picked her up and carried her to her room, put her in bed, and told her she was being a bad girl. Well, this was at 6:15, she had her clothes on from the day, and I was thinking she would get up in 5 minutes like she always does and come out and say she was sorry. She showed me this time - she immediately went to sleep, in her clothes, without dinner, without pottying, and it's now 8:00 and she's still in there. I'm only hoping she will wake up in the morning and think it was all a bad dream.
To top off that whole Emmy award-winning performance, I was on the phone telling my husband why Kylie was in bed already, and Claire walks over to me, and proceeds to wipe cat vomit all over me. Apparently the cat puked, unbeknownst to me, and Claire of course found it before I did. She took a big old handful, apparently took a little taste of it, then wiped the rest all over me. I immediately stood in the kitchen and started crying like a baby. One kid thinks I'm the worst mom, and is in bed sleeping in her clothes without dinner, and the other kid is playing in, eating, and completely covered in cat puke. This was a banner evening. I pulled myself together, gave Claire a bath (and a glass of milk!) put her pajamas on, and put her in bed.
So, next time you're thinking you're a horrible mom, or you can't handle your kids, you can think about this post, and hopefully it will help you through whatever you need to handle. I think I'm going to have a glass of wine, a bath, and go to bed. Tomorrow has to be better!

No comments:

Post a Comment