Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Awesome Job

Okay, not to be braggadocios or anything (but it's going to sound that way) - I think I have, like, the best job in the world. As I was contemplating posting tonight or not I thought, "I do things at work that most people would never think of doing, why not share them?" I have friends that listen in amazement as I speak of buying supplies to play "The Price Is Right", or picking out fancy dresses to wear to a masquerade ball, or buying silly hats and sunglasses to wear to Telethon. I could go on and on - there have been quite a few days that my co-workers and I have asked ourselves "We get paid to do this?!" The best part about doing all this fun and crazy stuff is, we are raising money to help sick kids. For those of you who aren't familiar, I am the Assistant Executive Director (and hopefully soon to be Executive Director!) of our Springfield chapter of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. Today we had the first day of our first ever Hispanic Radiothon. We raised $3,800 in one day, which is pretty darn good for a first time event! (we've done regular radiothons before, just not Hispanic) All the money we raise stays local and helps local kids. You can't beat it. I get to literally do something different every day. Yes, I have an office with a desk, and there are days I am there working all day. But there are so many days when I'm out visiting sponsors, or at fun events like the PCCC Auction or Burgers & Brews, or out doing something fun and crazy like eating 4 DQ Blizzards in one day! I love not having a monotonous job, and I love having a job that means something. I can go home every night to my healthy, happy, smart, adorable kids and know that I did something that day to help families that aren't as fortunate as we are. I think that's a valuable lesson to pass on to my girls as well, and it's never to early to teach them philanthropy. Well, that's my spiel for the day, I just wanted to share with all of you how lucky I am and how blessed I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment